In case you haven’t realized it yet, today is first day of February. So that means four things.
- Tomorrow is Groundhog day. Now that I live in the South, this doesn’t mean much any more but to my Northern friends, it’s still a fun tradition. I’m betting good old Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow.
- This is officially marathon month – EEK!
- The Super Bowl is this weekend. I’m not going to pretend I actually follow football, but I will be cheering on SF.
- It’s time to recap my January goal. (Yep, I only had one.)
But before I recap my January goal, I want to brag for just a sec. That sounded totally narcissistic, didn’t it? Anyways, I had a killer training month! I logged a total of 205 (+change) miles in January. I ran 141 miles and cycled 60. Woot-woot!! Alright, I’m done patting myself on the back and can now move into the rest of the post.
If you remember, some of my fellow blends (bloggers + friends = blends) came up with a fun Instagram challenge to keep us on track with our 2013 goals.
My goal for January was to increase my upper body strength. If you remember I tried to increase my upper body strength last year through my 100 Pushup
But I didn’t see any visible results. When something doesn’t work for you, don’t quit. Try something new. So to the drawing board I went to create a new plan of attack and came up with Big Blue, my new tool for success. I also set mini goals of going to the gym once a week to hit up the weight machines.
How did I do??
I by no means turned into the Incredible Hulk but I’m so proud of my baby biceps! Might not look like much, but there was a lot of hard work that went into that teeny-tiny bulge.
Even though January’s firmly in the rear-view mirror, I’m not giving up on my strength goal. This is just the beginning of progress. I have a whole year to develop the muscle tone I want. Watch out 2013, I’m coming for you!
- Run marathon #2 aka Rock-n-Roll New Orleans. I don’t have an official time goal. I want to finish somewhere in the 4:20s.
- Sub 2 hour 1/2 marathon (PR). I’m not sure if this is going to happen. With marathon training, I’ve been focusing more on endurance then speed so I’m not sure if I’m conditioned enough to run a sub 2 but I’m going to give my best effort.
- Spend more time in the kitchen. These past few months I have gotten way too comfortable with blending my meals (smoothies / protein shakes) instead of taking time to cook something. This often leaves hubby hanging for supper which means he seizes the opportunity to get fast food. #WifeFail
Those seem totally doable. I have a 20 mile run on tap for tomorrow and then bring on the taper! How did this marathon sneak up on me? It seems like just yesterday I was just starting to train for it.
Question: Do you think Punxsutawney Phil will see his shadow? Who do you want to win the Super Bowl?