Last night my training plan had 7 miles of speed work on tap. I’ll go out on a limb here and tell you that I am not speed work’s biggest fan. I’m seriously a lazy runner. Give me 20 miles of LSD (long slow distance, not the drug) over 5 miles of speed work any day. But my training plan calls for it, so I dutifully do it.
I don’t have to be happy about it though. Well, basically, I fight the idea all day long. I know there’s no way I’m skipping my speed work, but there’s a part of me that still holds onto the ‘let’s take a night off idea’. So off to the gym I went and hopped on the treadmill. Bleh.
As I was on the ‘mill, I was watching everyone else at the gym. They all looked like they wanted to be there; nobody seemed disgruntled. Then it hit me, I’m sure to others it seems like I want to be on there….on the treadmill….hanging on for dear life. I had my game face on, I laughed occasionally at some random thoughts, nobody would have suspected that I had an internal battle the size of Bunker Hill going on.
So I wanted to share my fragmented thought process caused by last night’s speed work. The next time you’re at the gym and see someone ‘really enjoying’ themselves, remember that you have no idea what’s going on behind the sweaty facade.
Before the run:
- I have to stop at home first to let my furry child go potty.
- I really should make dinner.
- I don’t have my blog post ready for tomorrow.
- You’re running 20 miles this weekend. You won’t miss these miles.
- I need to clip my toenails.
- I really don’t want to do this.
- Oh great… My warm up’s over.
- Hmmm, it feels pretty great to stretch my legs out.
- I should have peed before starting; only 5.5 miles left.
- What is this Dance Moms show about?
- Feeeeeel the burn. Is it supposed to burn this much 3 miles into the run??
- You can quit anytime, nobody here would know.
- Someone call poison control! The sweat…It dripped into my eye!
- If anyone ever talked to my kid the way this dance instructor spews hate, I would knock her out. (that thought was caused by the show I was watching.)
- Man, I reeeeaaaally need to pee.
- Why not just skip the cool down. 5.5 miles is still an ok distance.
- Only one Yasso left!!
- I’m pretty sure the people behind me thin I’m drunk. Why can’t I run in a straight line?
- I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it! I’m about to lose control and I think I like it.
- Last Yasso done! Oh wait, I still have a 1.5 miles cool down.
- I did it! Suck it Bart Yasso.
- I wonder if the guy next to me would call the cops if I high fived him.
- Maybe I should just apologize to him for flinging sweat.
- I smell bad.
- I really don’t want to get into the car with myself.
- Why don’t I have to pee anymore?
- I’m glad I didn’t quit.